The Physician Assistant provides high quality medical care specializing to underserved, low income individuals in a Federally Qualified Health Center setting. The Physician Assistant coordinates care in a multidisciplinary team to ensure that patients have access to behavioral health, family planning, specialized care and social services. The Physician Assistant will follow up with patients on a routine and as needed basis through scheduled appointments, emergency walk in appointments and through the on-call rotation. The Physician Assistant reports to the Network Clinical Director.
• Provide comprehensive primary care at the clinic, including medical histories, performing physical examinations, diagnosing medical conditions, implementing treatment plans and preventative care plans including immunizations, and prescribing appropriate medications for HIV infection. The physician assistant will also order and interpret laboratory results. All while recognizing and evaluating situations which require physician’s attention.
• Provide health education, risk reduction, and adherence counseling
• Provide Family Planning services for men and women
• Provide gynecological care: STD testing and treatment, cervical screening, vaginal exams
• Provide comprehensive Hepatitis C care: screening, treatment (including novel agents,) and monitoring
• Refer to medical specialties as needed including pre-testing, prior authorizations, referrals and follow up
• Complete all needed PEs and forms including, but not limited to: housing, driver’s license, SSI, correspondence with patients’ supportive agencies and all insurance related forms including Medicaid applications.
• Screen for mental health illnesses and refer to BHC or outside agency
• Screen for substance abuse and refer as needed
• Assure continuity of clinical care by treating and following up with patients and all applicable results
• Perform other duties as assigned
• Contribute to the budget by the proper use of supplies and maintenance of equipment
• Coordinate patient care services with interdisciplinary team: Nurse Practitioner, Case Manager, RN, and Psychologist (BHC)
• Participate in the Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) according to the guidelines established by the AIDS Activities Coordinating Office (AACO) and The Joint Commission
• Performs data entry of medical information in the database for reporting as specified
• Comply with all PHMC policies and regulatory procedures
• Participate in evaluation process of program
• Abide by regulations governing practice scope of a physician assistant.
• Mentor students: RN, PA and Medical, as needed
• Develop and Implement HCV protocol for medical staff
• Conduct applicable teaching sessions/lectures to other staff and community as needed
• Good written and verbal communication skills
• Experience with homeless, substance abuse and mental health populations
• Bi-Lingual a plus
• Proficient in Electronic Health Records
• Masters of Science in Physician Assistant studies
Licenses and Certifications:
• Board Certified
• Licensed by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
SALARY: Based on education and experience.