Medical Director (Director of Integrated Health Services)
The Director of Integrated Health Services is a Physician who is responsible for optimizing the programmatic excellence of the services provided by Project HOME’s Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC). The Director leads a growing interdisciplinary team of clinicians at a multi-site FQHC, including medical, behavioral health, dental, and mobile health services, which are open to people of all ages and includes pre-natal. The team includes clinicians who are directly employed or contracted to provide services. The Director provides the leadership to drive meaningful change and integration of services, employing best practices in measurement and quality improvement. The Director should be comfortable utilizing data to drive improvement. The Director engages regularly with the senior and executive leadership team to design and refine strategic plan goals, then creates a clear link between high level strategic goals and daily work of all clinical staff. This process is facilitated by engaging in and promoting regular leadership “rounding” in a way that fosters a culture of open communication and continuous improvement. The ideal candidate has strong desire to work in a mission driven organization that is committed to reducing health care disparities and providing the highest standard of care to all patients.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Provide supervision and direction, either directly or through a designee, to all FQHC medical, behavioral health and dental clinicians. Direct reports include Director of Clinical Services, SKWC Site Medical Director, Director of Behavioral Health Services, and Director of Dental Services.
• Provide direct patient care as a board-certified family or internal medicine physician; participate in an on-call, after hours rotating staff schedule; register with the State Board of Medicine as a supervising or collaborating physician for advanced practice providers (physician assistants and nurse practitioners).
• Under the direction of the Vice President of Healthcare Services and in collaboration with the Director of Operations & Revenue Cycle Management, ensure staff at all levels have adequate tools to obtain and measure progress toward goals, utilizing QI methodology, visual management tools, and process mapping.
• Conduct regular “rounds” at medical, behavioral health, dental, and mobile programs and sites to observe, mentor and coach these front line teams in a manner that creates a culture of accountability and fosters continuous improvement.
• Conduct provider recruitment and retention activities, including the writing or editing of position descriptions.
• Perform semi-annual and annual performance evaluations of direct reports; review performance evaluation results of all within her or his chain of command.
• Provide significant input in development of the annual operating budget for clinical services.
• Chair the Quality and Risk Management Committee for healthcare services; present the QRMC dashboard at Healthcare Committee meetings of the Board of Trustees.
• Participate in regularly scheduled leadership team meetings to review financials (productivity, patient services revenue, other revenue, and expenses) and program activities.
• Regularly review financial results with direct reports in a team setting to facilitate collaborative understanding and problem-solving of financial issues.
• Recommend and execute plans to improve the FQHC’s financial performances as needed.
• Serve as the FQHC’s Clinician Lead of the Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH) initial and maintenance certification submission.
• Become familiar with regulations, licensures, credentials and contractual stipulations governing FQHC operations.
• Assist lead staff in addressing any grievances by patients, employees, contracted personnel, or third party payers to the extent such grievances and complaints are related to the services provided by FQHC clinicians
• Collaborates closely with Senior Leadership from other Project HOME departments: street outreach, residential, education and employment departments to ensure the FQHC continuum of care supports and integrates these services in a way that is seamless to the client and wisely uses resources.
• Currently licensed Doctor of Medicine or Osteopathy in Pennsylvania
• Board Certified in Family Medicine or Internal Medicine
• Minimum three years’ experience in an established leadership capacity in an organization providing healthcare services. Preference given to prior leadership experience in an integrated health organization.
• Must meet Project HOME’s privileging requirements as required by the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA).
• Current CPR certification or must obtain within one month if not current.
• Pass Project HOME’s criminal and child abuse back ground checks.
• Knowledge, training, skills, and experience in a multi-disciplinary approach to physical and mental health and chemical dependency.
• Knowledge, training, skills and experience in continuous quality improvement and leadership development.
• Knowledge, training, skills and experience in providing and supervising services in a highly diverse work environment to a highly diverse and vulnerable population.
• Demonstrated leadership ability to create effective teams, provide and communicate vision, and effectively manage change
• Excellent communication skills including diplomacy, tact, and effective “bedside manner” with patients.
• Ability to manage time and meet deadlines.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to display non-judgmental attitude.
• Ability to remain solution-focused and respectful in all interactions with staff, co- workers, vendors, and clients.
• Excellent problem-solving and conflict resolution skills.
• Ability to work in an atmosphere where people may be hostile or abusive.
• Knowledge of de-escalation methods or willing to be trained in these methods.
• Must possess a current driver’s license and be designated an “acceptable” driver as outlined in Project HOME’s vehicle policy.
Project HOME is an Equal Opportunity Employer