La Comunidad Hispana (LCH), Kennett Square and Oxford, offers a comprehensive scope of healthcare, social services, outreach, and education programs for Latinos and other low-income, underserved families living and working in Southern Chester County. As a Federally Qualified Health Center and Patient-Centered Medical Home, LCH provides fully integrated person-centered care in a bilingual and bicultural environment that encourages compliance and fosters improved patient outcomes. Using a holistic approach to care, LCH integrates healthcare with supportive services and education to empower our members to stay healthy, build strong families and lead productive fulfilling lives.
Under the clinical supervision of the Dentist, the Dental Hygienist will provide oral care such as debridement, hand scaling and regular cleanings to patients and provide them with information to assist with developing and maintaining good oral health. Our dental facility consists of 3-operatories located in a Class-A medical office building and is supported by LCH’s primary location 2 miles away, consisting of medical offices, behavioral healthcare, social services and administration.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Delivers direct patient care using established dental hygienist procedures.
• Develops and implements individualized dental care plans for patients.
• Uses patient screening procedures to include medical history review, dental charting and period charting.
• Documents dental history or chief complaint of patient.
• Records and reports pertinent observations and patient reactions to dental staff, as appropriate.
• Performs routine treatment procedures such as cleaning, polishing, x-rays, application of sealants and fluorides, and related procedures.
• Assists with or institutes emergency measures for sudden adverse developments during treatment of patients.
• Sets up and prepares dental equipment and instrumentation in accordance with established regulations and guidelines.
• Assists in preparation of patient care areas and in the patient admission, transfer and discharge process, as required.
• Prepares reports and assists as required with patient reception, telephone calls, routine triage and other office duties.
• Performs patient education, discharge planning and patient/family teaching under the supervision of the Dentist.
• Participates in maintaining a clean and orderly work space and reception area.
• Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
• Maintains excellent attendance; performs all duties in a timely manner; attends all meetings as scheduled and/or directed by supervisor, Directors or CEO.
• Follows all LCH procedures and adheres to policies as outlined in the Employee Handbook.
• Collaborates with staff of all LCH programs as appropriate to ensure efficient integration of services and support.
• Respects confidentiality at all times.
• Full-time Dental Hygienist at LCH are required to work a minimum of one evening per week.
• Performs other duties as assigned. Job description subject to review and may change based on business necessity.
• Valid Pennsylvania state Dental Hygiene license.
• Bilingual: proficiency in English and Spanish.
• Bachelor’s degree. (Preferred)
Additional Skills and Requirements
• CPR certified.
• Proficiency in office-based applications: EMR (experience with Centricity a plus!), MS Office (Word, Excel, Access, Power Point, Outlook) and Internet use is required.
• Must possess superior organizational skills, the ability to multi-task, and be detail-oriented.
• Customer Service Skills (patient, empathetic, responds to patient’s emotional state, patient interview is pertinent to patient’s visit).
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Must have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to be a team player.
• Must emulate LCH mission and values in working with patients and staff.
LCH is a culturally competent, bilingual, bicultural agency. Qualified members of the community are encouraged to apply.